News & Resources
Chambers USA 2010 Ranks Smith Pachter McWhorter among the top Construction and Government Contract Firms Nationwide
Chambers USA 2010 attorney rankings described Smith Pachter McWhorter as a “widely respected construction and government contract law boutique [which] provides cost-effective counseling. Clients highlight the group's attentive and efficient service.” Smith Pachter McWhorter lawyers also earn considerable praise for their defense of clients in major cost overrun claims. "These flexible, pragmatic lawyers provide great value and a personalized service." Five partners were identified as leaders in their areas of practice based on an extensive survey of clients and peers:
- Richard Smith has transitioned his practice to focus more on mediation and arbitration work, mostly in private and government contract disputes. "I would go back to him in a heartbeat if I had another dispute," reports one satisfied client.
- John Pachter - "Tenacious and highly intelligent" litigator -- is an excellent choice for dispute resolution and bid protest work; sources say "he always does a terrific job."
- Val McWhorter is praised for his collaborative work method and his accessibility: "He was great at communicating the probability of success; at every opportunity, we were able to accurately evaluate the risk before moving forward," reports a client. He provides a variety of advice to large international constructors.
- Brian Vella resolves complex contractual conflicts for a range of engineering and construction companies. "He is able to converse in industry lingo, then convert this into a legal framework and move the matter forward," reveals one source.
- Mark Hansonis regarded as a rising star in the group. His work typically involves representing contractors, subcontractors, sureties and design professionals. Says one client: "He is a top-notch attorney, skilled in dispute resolution.